Edmund Rogers Chapter
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded on 11 October 1890, and incorporated by the Act of United States Congress in 1896. Kentucky Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded in 1896.
In the summer of 1922 Mrs. Eugene Ray, then member of and State Registrar of the DAR in Kentucky, was in Glasgow looking up some of her own family records. She said to Mr. J. M. Richardson, "Aren't there some Revolutionary soldiers buried in Barren County?" To which Mr. Richardson replied: "The woods are full of them."
Realizing that this was a fertile field for organizing a new DAR chapter, Mrs. Ray began calling and canvassing women who, she was told, were possible or probably eligible, and finding quite a number with their lineage already established, she asked them to meet her at the Murrel Hotel and talk it over, which they did and were all so enthused that they arranged to meet again very shortly for the purpose of perfecting the organization of a DAR chapter in Glasgow.
Chapter Organized 6 December 1922
The following ladies met 6 December 1922, at the home of Mrs. E. T. Ellison on Broadway for the purpose of organizing a chapter of the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, in Glasgow. Mrs. Grace Hughes White (Mrs. J. R. ) was organizing regent. Mrs. Eugene Ray of Louisville was present and presided over the meeting at the request of Mrs. White. The charter was signed by Annie E. Rogers Kilgore, Daisy Abigail White Warder, Jennie Owsley, Lois Smith Ellis, Bess Howard, Jennie Boles Ellison, Anne Eliza Preston Delvaux, Virginia Lee Allen Taylor, Bettie Owsley Snoddy, Nellie Burnett Dickinson, Jeannetta M. Jenkins, and Grace Hughes White. The following members were not present: Ada B. Jenkins, Julia White, Elizabeth White Snyder, Ettie Allen Preston. Later six more names were added as charter members; Annie L. Huggins Smith ( Mrs. W. B.), Sarah Luckett Smiths Warder ( Mrs. E. B.), Jennie Jean Smith Jones (Mrs. V. R.), Mary Jenkins Kerley ( Mrs. E. L. ), Loulie Rogers Richardson ( Mrs. J. M. ), and Evelyn Byrd Thompson ( Mrs. C. W. ).
The organizing regent named the officers as follows: Vice Regent, Bettie Owsley Snoddy; Recording Secretary, Daisy White Warder; Corresponding Secretary, Lois Smith Ellis; Treasurer, Bess Howard; and Registrar, Jennie Boles Ellison.
Motion carried that the name Edmund Rogers Chapter be adopted temporarily and at the close of the year the name might be changed by vote if so desired. First Wednesday in each month was chosen as day of meeting. At the close of this meeting the newly organized chapter went to the home of Mrs. Paul Holman where a reception was held for eligible and prospective members.
At the January meeting in 1923, a committee of three, Mrs. Nellie Burnett Dickinson, Miss Jennie Owsley, and Mrs. Daisy Abigail Warder was appointed by the Regent on By-Laws for the chapter and Ways-and-Means. So well did they do their work that their report on By-Laws was adopted and with a very few minor changes is still in use.
The chapter was chartered in February 1923. The chapter met at the home of the members during the first year, opening each meeting, as now, with the singing of one verse of America, followed by prayer by the Chaplain, and the salute to the flag, and the American's Creed. Then came the business session which was followed by a literary, usually historical, program and a social hour. The most important work undertaken by the chapter during the first three years was finding and verifying the names of all Revolutionary soldiers buried in Barren Co., in order to erect a bronze tablet to their memory at some suitable time and place. The programs for that year, 1923, consisted of the lives of Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, George Washington, John Hancock and the story and history of the American Flag. Seven graves of Revolutionary soldiers were located and at the end of the year we had 29 members with 12 applications pending.
The first Red Cross Christmas Seals were sold by Mrs. C. W. Thompson and Mr. George Minich in December, 1924. The report for 1924 shows 41 members, 36 Revolutionary soldiers' graves located, 20 gravestones and 125 Bible Records copied, marker ordered for grave of Gen. Alexander E. Spotswood.
by Mrs. Irene Isacco, Regent 1971 - 1973.
Edmund Rogers Chapter Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky, USA Mailing Address: e-mail:
Edmund Rogers Chapter
Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky, USA
Mailing Address:P. O. Box 112
Web Page Updated 2017